2015年11月12日星期四

Vocabulary 11.12

1. mannequin     n.
A dummy used to display clothes in a shop window.
A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin.

2. second-hand   adj.
Things are not new and have been owned by someone else.
To save money, I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price.

3. animatedly      adv.
Someone who is animated or who is having an animated conversation is lively and is showing their feelings.
Many of our classmates were there with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.

4. faltered  v.
If something falters. It loses power of strength in an uneven way, or no longer makes much progress.
Flustered, I faltered, then hurriedly responded," yes, well I had a good time, too. Good night."


5. impulsive     adj.
If you describe someone as impulsive, you mean that they do things suddenly without thinking about them carefully first.
You are a bit impulsive and head strong at times.

6. constrained   adj. v.
To constrain someone or something means to limit their development or force them to behave in a particular way.
I had always felt constrained there.

7. Gregorian chant    n.
Represented by Gregorian Chant, it is a significant source of Western music in a sense.
A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.


8. pearl      n.
A pearl is a hard round object which is shiny and creamy white in color. Pearls grow inside the shell of an oyster and are used for making expensive jewellery.
I would wear my cream silk dress and the pearl jewelry that Sister Reed had given me.

9. elope     vi.
When two people elope, they go away secretly together to get married.
I just want to elope and get our lives started now.


10. taciturn.          adj.
A taciturn person does not say very much and can seem unfriendly.
I would write to each of my taciturn brothers, even though they had never written to me.


11. sobbed.       v.
When someone sobs, they cry in a nosiy way, breathing in short breaths.
I started to sob.


12. pouch.      n. V.
A pouch is a flexible container like a small bag.
The pouch of an animal such as kangaroo or a koala bear is the pocket of skin on its stomach on which it's baby grows.
In a silk pouch that mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band.

13. listlessly.     adv.
Someone who is listless has no energy or enthusiasm.
As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear.


14. hymn.   n. Vt.
Hymn is a religious song that Christians sing in church.
I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.


15. fainted.    V.
A faint sound, color, mark, feeling, or quality has very little strength or intensity.
You fainted two days ago and you have been here ever since.

没有评论:

发表评论