2016年2月25日星期四

Writing center

                                   Writing center 
        I went to writing center to see Mrs. Swift this Monday, and we spent a long time working with my English essay. I think I learnt a lot from her. 
        And I revised my first paragraph with her that day. She helped me to correct many grammar mistakes, and I feel that my grammar still needs to improve because after I checked by myself; she still can find many mistakes.
        She told me about 3 things:
        First, do not write tons of summaries because response to literature is most about analyze the story, analyze the language and analyze the author’s thoughts. So it is totally wrong if the summary part takes place the most of my essay. She asked me to cancel those useless details, and after I did those details I suddenly felt relax because I felt that my essay became clearer than before. As a result, I only left one specific event which is the reason why Lorenzo does not want to trust others, and he just wants to stay alone. Because of that the totally words number of my completed essay is about 1370, and I am really glad that it is lower than 1500.
          Second, she told me that I need to analyze deeply. For example, she said the original story is like the ground, and my job is to find the things which under the ground, and they are more valuable. And I should not only analyze the plots but also the characters personalities and thoughts and even the language because those things are more valuable than the plot, for they are more difficult to find and understand. 
         Third, she said I did not fully understand the story Me and You because when she asked my some questions about what did Lorenzo and Olivia talked when they were in the cellar together, and I cannot remember those things clearly, and I felt a little bit shame. And she chose a quote from the original story which is the dialogue between Lorenzo and Olivia: “What’s the thing you hate the most in the world?” and she asked my why Olivia asked this question to Lorenzo and why is this question important. I cannot tell why because I thought this was just a simple question; Lorenzo and Olivia just had a free talk which did not have aim at that time. But she did not think so. She thought the reason why Olivia asked this question to Lorenzo is because she cares about him, and she wants to know more about him. And they are starting to know more about each other which portrays that their relationships become closer and tighter. Because of Olivia’s questions, Lorenzo starts to think about himself and think about his life. It is a kind of self discovery. That is the turning point of Lorenzo so it is really important. 
         And then she told me that every story writes for propose, and the authors always willing to tell something to readers so that the most important thing is to find why the author wrote the story so that we could analyze it from the very beginning which could let my essay becomes more clearly and understandable.   

没有评论:

发表评论