2016年3月3日星期四

Vocabulary

For each word, write the sentence that it comes from, the part of speech, and the meaning as it is used in the sentence.


claim n.
It is a kind of sign which 
Mum asked one night when she’d got back from her job on the checkout at Khan’s and me and Dad were relaxing after a hard afternoon’s work out at the claim.

wobbling adj. n. v.
Wobbling means shaking and trembling.
The noise of a car drove into our ears and a four-wheel-drive police jeep came wobbling down the creamy red track that leads to our claim.

startled adj.
shocked, feels really surprised
My dad turned around, startled.

figment n.
small pieces of segment 
Kellyanne glared at me through tears the way she did the time I slammed the door of the ute in Dingan’s face or the time I walked over to where Pobby was supposed to be sitting and punched the air and kicked the air in the head to show Kellyanne that Pobby was a figment of her imaginings.

rummaged v.
checked 
He rummaged through piles of rocks.

ute n.
It is a kind of Indian in America
Kellyanne glared at me through tears the way she did the time I slammed the door of the ute in Dingan’s face or the time I walked over to where Pobby was supposed to be sitting and punched the air and kicked the air in the head to show Kellyanne that Pobby was a figment of her imaginings.

crackpot n.
crazy thoughts 
Lightning Ridge was full of flaming crackpots as far as I could see.

Mello Yello n.
A kind of drink which is similar with the soda
“Pobby and Dingan aren’t dead,” I said, hiding my anger in a swig from my can of Mello Yello.

mates n.
friends, playmates.
“I still say Kellyanne could do with some real-live mates,” went on my dad, as if he was talking to someone inside his beer.

opal n.
A kind of valuable beautiful stone.
My dad would come back from the opal mines covered in dust, his beard like the back end of a dog that’s shat all over its tail.

fairdinkum (I don't know the part of speech of this word)
Seriously.
“Fairdinkum?”

imaginary n.
Fake, and create by people's brain
Now, I was as much a rockhound as the next kid, but I wasn’t crazy enough to talk to imaginary friends, I’ll tell you that for nothing.

grub n.
Food 
She said they were quieter and better behaved than me and deserved the grub.

fossilized adj.
very old and looks like stone.
There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it.

mammoth n.
a kind of animal which had already disappeared  in the Earth.
There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it.

没有评论:

发表评论